Constructed in 1821 on the site of a ruined fort built in 1712, Fort Victoria was formerly known as ‘Phipp’s Tower’, in honor of its initial constructor English Governor Phipps. It was later renamed Fort Victoria, after Queen Victoria of Great Britain.
Perched on a hill on the western part of the Cape Coast Township in the Central Region, the fort overlooks both the Atlantic Ocean and the historic town. Fort Victoria was used as an outlook post for signaling purposes.
Fort Victoria has been preserved as a monument. The fort is in a respectable condition.
The fort’s opening hours are 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Entrance fees are as follows:
|Visitor Category||Entrance Fee*|
|Pupils from Primary to JHS 3||GH¢ 0.50|
|SHS Students||GH¢ 1.00|
|Tertiary Students with ID||GH¢ 2.00|
|Ghanaian Adults||GH¢ 5.00|
|Foreign Children||USD 2.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
|Foreign Students with ID||USD 7.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
|Adult Foreigners||USD 10.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
*Entrance fees were reviewed in February 2013.
Central and Western Regions
Cape Coast Castle
Tel +233-3321 32529