The Western Region is situated in the south-western part of Ghana. It shares common borders with La Cote d’Ivoire on the west, the Central Region in the East, parts of Ashanti and Brong Ahafo Regions in the North and the Gulf of Guinea (Atlantic Ocean) in the South.
The Western Region is located in Ghana’s south-western corner. It is bordered on the west by La Cote d’Ivoire, on the east by the Central Region, on the north by sections of the Ashanti and Brong Ahafo Regions, and on the south by the Gulf of Guinea (Atlantic Ocean). It spans a total area of 23,921 square kilometers, or nearly 10% of Ghana’s entire land surface. It has a total shoreline of 192 kilometers. This region also includes Ghana’s southernmost point, Cape Three Points near Busua in the Ahanta West District.
Ghana’s Western Region is one of the country’s ten (10) administrative regions. In July 1960, the former Western Province was divided into the Region. Sekondi serves as the administrative capital. The Regional Co-ordinating Council (RCC) was established under Section 140 of the Local Government Act 1993 (Act 462) with the sole purpose of coordinating, monitoring, and evaluating the activities of Sector Departments such as Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Assemblies (MMDAs) and Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs). The RCC conducts this with the goal of improving people’s lives.
According to the 2010 Population and Housing Census, the region’s population is 2,376,021 people, with 1,187,774 males and 1,188,247 females.
The Ankobra, Bia, and Pra rivers are the largest rivers in the east, with the Tano River forming part of the western national border. The UNESCO World Heritage Site and settlement of Nzulezo built entirely on stilts and platforms over water, and the Ankasa Protected Vicinity are both located in the area. From 1512 onwards, a series of formidable Portuguese, Dutch, British, and Brandenburgian forts were built along the shore.